The AFEL Alliance of Childcare Providers is comprised of early childhood education providers in 19104 with the mission to improve the quality ratings of local childcare centers through the Pennsylvania quality improvement Keystone STARS standard. (Keystone STARS – Standards, Training, Assistance, Resources and Support – is an initiative of the Office of Child Development and Early Learning to support continuous quality improvement efforts of early learning programs in Pennsylvania.) The Alliance consists of center, group and family care providers.
The AFEL Alliance is managed through a partnership of Drexel University and First Up (formerly the Delaware Valley Association of the Education of Young Children or DVAEYC), which provides professional development workshops, on-site coaching and monthly Alliance meetings for directors and staff. This community-based partnership’s long-term goals include local childcare providers working together to deliver streamlined services more efficiently. By participating, providers become stronger, more accountable, more financially sound and efficient, and better equipped to offer affordable, high-quality services.
Participation is open to all early education providers in 19104 who are interested in providing quality early childhood education as well as improving STAR ratings or maintaining high quality STAR ratings. Some services and resources are limited depending on the availability of funding.
Benefits of joining the AFEL Alliance include:
- Support with STARS quality improvement
- Professional development opportunities for novice to master teachers
- PQAS-certified trainings and workshops held in West Philadelphia
- Educational materials and resources for teachers and parents, when available
- Networking with other providers, ECE professionals, and government administrators through the monthly Alliance meeting
- Support for family engagement activities, including Kindergarten registration, read-alongs and hands-on early science programming
- Free Child Development Associate Certificate Course in partnership with 1199C
If you are a childcare provider operating in West Philadelphia, 19104 zip code, who is committed to continuous quality improvement and wants more information on joining the AFEL Alliance of Childcare Providers, please contact:
AFEL Alliance Manager